I love these simple cotton crochet face scrubbies, because they are quick and easy to make as well as machine washable. As you will all know by now I am very keen on all things sustainable and affordable.
So this project ticks all of those boxes and forms part of our Zero Waste Bathroom Essentials.
You will need;
A good range of these!
100% Cotton Mini Yarn, DK
It has to be a Double Knit and Cotton, machine washable. The above ones are a nice range, but feel free to shop around as if you are making your own handmade face scrubbies you can make them unique and perfect!
I am a slack crochet queen, so I use 3.5mm hook but I think that most of us would use a 4mm. You can buy a range of hooks like these;
14 pcs Multicolor Aluminum Crochet Hooks 2-10mm. That way once you have more confidence in your skills you can try new projects.
DIY Crochet Face Scrubbies
- Chain 4 stitches, slip stitch into the first stitch. Chain three stitches from the centre.
- 11 treble stitches to the centre point. – By keeping the end piece of cotton in with the circle it allows you to pull it taught when you do your slip stitch to connect your chain three to your 11th treble
- Into the slip stitch, chain three, then the top of each stitch has two trebles. Creating from 12 stitches on the first row, not 24 stitches.
- Slip stitch them together. from that stitch chain three. The top of the next stitch put one treble, then two trebles to the top of the next.
- Alternate between one and two trebles per stitch. Then slip stitch them together. You should have then created 36 stitches from 24.
- Slip stitch the last ends together and then work the end into the scrubby.
We have chosen darker colours for our face scrubbies as our intended recipients are heavy makeup users. This way we will encourage the reuse of the face scrubbies. I think these are the ideal gift for a non eco friendly person or a greener one. Either way these are soft and machine washable so will save money in the long term too.