First of all you need to rethink this idea. Rather than buy chickens why not think, instead about rehoming an ex battery hen through British Hen Welfare Trust? They are not just ex-battery hens, some are ex caged hens. The difference being very subtle compared to how they will be living in your backyard!
Reasons to buy chickens from a rehoming charity
- expert help and advice on hand all the time
- they are known to be daily layers of wonderful eggs, once they are fully free range eggs they will rock your socks off
- they are super confident and nosy
- our girls are fearless and very gentle with smaller children, this is also good for the kids as they want to rescue more chickens!
- hens bred for the mass market tend towards hardiness, they are the perfect ‘first’ chicken.
- our girls have grown feathers and become true garden divas!
Are you ready to buy chickens?
You need to get prepared for your chickens or ex-battery hens and then you can start to look at re homing dates.
Basic kits you will need in your backyard includes ;
We then made the decision to get a chicken run like this one
as we wanted to have a secure enclosure for them during the day when we were at work. Urban foxes are absolute swines for taking any opportunity to eat your girls. So weld mesh dug around the perimeter has helped us a lot too.
These are essential
as you can hang them up and get them away from muddy chicken feet.
Are ex-battery hens for you?
As a family we decided we wanted to move away from intensive farming. One way we thought we could do that was with growing our own food and this seemed like the next step. You can stock up on
and still have plenty of fresh food for every day. So if you are at all worried about self sufficiency backyard chickens are the ultimate solution. Ex-battery hens live a long time and will be around 14 months when they come to stay with you. Although they are retired ours have been daily egg producers and we have really made our initial investment back in terms of money. However you will love to spend hours watching them mooch around the garden.
You can also buy chickens that are ex-battery hens from https://freshstartforhens.co.uk/ another great charity.